The LOVE Church: We Love God, We Love People, and We Love to Worship
6:30 PM (Prayer Ministry)
7:00 PM (Bible Study)
9:30 AM (Church School)
10:45 AM (Church Service)
1203 Olive Ave, Sanford, FL,
THE HISTORY OF ALLEN CHAPEL
In 1893, eighteen members of St. James AME Church, our Mother church, decided that they needed a place to worship in their own neighborhood, the Goldsboro area. So, Reverend Frank Hall along with Dock Lane, Clorie Siplin, Laura Walden, Rosa Boykin, Annie Hall, Martha Jewett, Ida Waldon, W.B. Boykin, H. Jewett, Clara Waldon, William Waldon, Jr., F. Siplin, Charlet Lane, William Waldon, Sr., Clara Walden, II, Reverend E.T. Davis, and Cora Jackson left St. James AME Chuch and came to Goldsboro and organized what was later to become Allen Chapel AME Church.
A.O. Chappel, a Real Estate Agent, gave Reverend W.M. Clark two lots to sell, one for Allen Chapel and one to build a school. These two lots were located on W. 13th Street. At that time, Reverend W.H. Hall, who was serving as pastor and the eighteen plus members were worshipping at another site and it is said that during one service, Reverend Hall opened the doors of the church and all the members joined Allen Chapel AME Church.
In, 1894, the first church was built under the leadership of Rev. T.J. Williams. It was located on the corner of Lake Avenue and 13th Street. William Thompson served as the first Sunday School Superintendent. under the pastorate of Rev. William Buggs, the church burned on December 23, 1927 and the present Olive Avenue site was purchased.
Under the leadership of Rev. W.B. Coffey, the current social hall was built. This was the church at that time. Years later, Rev. T.D. Davis purchased the first blocks to build the upstairs sanctuary. Rev. T.D. Tyson paid for the flooring he put in himself. After 22 years of struggle, Rev. A.C. Chandler moved the congregation into the newly built sanctuary (upstairs).
Since the beginning, there has been great leadership here at Allen. The Reverend Octavius L. Smith currently serves as Pastor at Allen Chapel.